Swiss multinational company ABB has formally launched the world’s fastest electric car charger – the new Terra 360 modular charger. Here 360 stand for 360kW of output which is far more than the 250 kW offered by Tesla’s Superchargers.
ABB has plans to spin off its electric vehicle (EV) charging business, which could be valued at around $3 billion. “With governments around the world writing public policy that favours electric vehicles and charging networks to combat climate change, the demand for EV charging infrastructure, especially charging stations that are fast, convenient and easy to operate, is higher than ever,” said Frank Muehlon, president of ABB’s E-mobility Division.
Following are some of the features of the Terra 360 modular charger:
- It can charge up to four vehicles at once. This feature will allow drivers to get their charging done even if somebody else is already charging ahead of them.
- Terra 360 is capable of delivering 62 miles (100 km) of range in less than three minutes.
- According to the company, it can fully charge any electric car within 15 minutes.
- The process of charging is quite simple. There will be an innovative lighting system that will guide through the charging process.
- It will also display the time left and the State of Charge (SoC) of the battery.
- The cable management is even comfortable for those in a wheelchair.
- ABB claims that its charger will “accelerate e-mobility adoption globally.”
The Terra 360 will be on the market in Europe and the United States by the end of the year. However, it will be available in the Latin America, and Asia-Pacific regions from 2022.